Wednesday, October 3, 2012

For Father Joe ----RIP


DAY ONE

MY D AY B E G I N S

A whole lifetime is short,

and sometimes very short indeed.

How do we know that ours may not be so short

as to end an hour,

or even a minute after

we have determined to give ourselves wholly to God?

It is quite possible,

for we cannot depend on anything

that passes away,

much less on life,

on which we must not reckon

for even a single day.

We may be among those who,

worldly as we still are,

have some deep desire

to do what is right.

At times, rare as they may be,

we commend ourselves to God’s care.

We think about our souls every now and then.

14 LET NOTHING DISTURB YOU

Busy as we are,

we pray a few times a month,

even though our minds are filled

with a thousand other matters.

“Where your treasure is, there also is your heart.”

We need, therefore, from time to time

to cast aside our daily concerns.

We need to reflect upon the state of our soul,

and to realize

that we will never reach our goal

by the road we are following.

We need to withdraw from time to time

from all unnecessary cares and business.

A L L T H R O U G H T H E D AY

A whole lifetime is short.

I cannot depend on anything that passes away.

MY D AY I S E N D I N G

Let nothing, O Lord,

disturb the silence of this night.

Let nothing make me afraid.

For even though life is short,

DAY ONE 15

even though it could end before I wake,

if I put all my trust in you,

and not in passing things,

I need not be concerned.

Let me now,

in the dying moments of this day,

cast aside my concerns

and reflect upon the state of my soul.

Worldly as I still am,

I harbor a deep desire

to do what is right

and to commend myself

wholly to your care.

For if I have you, God,

I will want for nothing.

You alone suffice.

1 comment: